Dear ABC Members,
we are delighted to share the Presentation from our last event with you which was sponsored by HCI Skills, a Premium Member of the Austrian Business Chamber.
ABC/HCI Skills Workshop – MAKE SUBSIDIES WORK FOR YOU
UNEMPLOYMENT IN SOUTH AFRICA
- Unemployment rate in South Africa increased to 29 percent in the second quarter of 2019 from 27.6 in the previous period
- It was the highest jobless rate since the first quarter of 2003
- The total number of the population who are employed and/or actively seeking employment is 23 million
- 15,5 million South Africans are not economically active and of those 2,7 million are disillusioned jobseekers
- The working population aged 15 64 is 38 million.
- Out of the 10,3 million young people (aged 15 to 24) 3,3 million are not employed, studying or in some form of training
WHAT IS GOVERNMENT DOING?
- Government has implemented certain strategies to increase employment and train people for employability. Is it enough?
- Treasury recently released ideas for discussion on how to help the economy and create 1 Million Jobs. Here are a few of those points:
- Lower the fuel Price
- Households and Business should be allowed to sell Electricity
- Sale of Eskom’s coal fired power stations
- Private Competitors to Transnet
- Formalising the taxi Industry
- Small Business Exempt from industry wage agreements
- Government to pay interest on late payments
- Reducing red tape by 25%
- Interventions to help Exporters
- Skilled Workers should be encouraged to Immigrate to South Africa
- In order to help alleviate our own skills shortage and thus people’s employability, Government has implemented several incentives for businesses be part of the solution
- HCI is in the privileged position to at least be part of the solution through being able to offer learnerships and skills training to unemployed as well as employed people
You can download the full presentation here.