When entering Austria from abroad in most of the cases an online Pre-Travel-Clearance is mandatory – Further information and Pre-Travel Clearance can be found here
Entrants, who do not fall under any of the exemptions listed in the COVID-19 entry regulation, must present a proof of a negative test result for SARS-CoV-2 upon request of border authorities. If this is not possible, this test must be conducted immediately after entry, at the latest within 24 hours.
When entering Austria, a quarantine of 10 days after entry is obligatory, in case you stayed in a country not stated in appendix A during the previous 10 days. At the earliest on the 5th day of quarantine – the day of arrival marks day 0 – a molecular biological or antigen test for SARS-CoV-2 can be conducted. If the result is negative, the quarantine can be terminated early.
The exceptions from quarantine according to § 4 (3), § 5 (5), § 6 (1), § 6 (2), § 6a of the Covid-19 entry regulation apply, as well as for countries stated in appendix A if one exclusively stayed in Austria or countries mentioned in appendix A for 10 days prior to entry.
Further, the exceptions from this regulation stated in § 7 (1) and § 8 apply. For such cases, the Covid-19 entry regulation does not apply, and registration is not required. Such exceptions cover:
- Entries for unforeseeable, non-postponable and serious reasons within the family, especially serious cases of illness, deaths, funerals, births, or care of persons in need of support at emergencies.
- Entries to maintain goods- and passenger traffic (crews).
- Entries for compelling reasons of animal care or for measures necessary for agriculture and forestry.
- Professional transfer journeys/transfer flights.
- Entries in the compelling interest of the Republic of Austria.
- Transit through Austria without a stopover.
- The crew of a repatriation voyage/flight, including the public security service organs traveling with them.
- Occupants of emergency vehicles or public service vehicles.
- Persons crossing foreign territory coming from Austria without a stopover to reach their destination in Austria.
- The entry into the municipalities of Vomp-Hinterriss, Mittelberg and Jungholz.
The current COVID-19 pandemic poses a major challenge to Austrian authorities. The measures of combating the spread of SARS-CoV-2 are subject to ongoing review and adoption – also following international best practices.
In order to collect the necessary information from people entering Austria from countries with an increased risk of infection, people entering Austria are required to submit key information, in order to facilitate contact tracing.
The pre-travel clearance online form serves this purpose. The following information is collected:
- Last and given name
- Date of birth
- Email Address
- Residential or residence address in Austria, work address or educational institution, or address of quarantine
- Date of entry
- Date of departure (optional)
- Means of transport / vehicle used for entry (optional)
- Countries visited in the last 10 days
If necessary for one of the quarantine exemptions mentioned in § 4 and § 5 (5)
- humanitarian personnel,
- people entering the country for professional purposes,
- an accompanying person for medical reasons in accordance with § 6,
- persons entering for the purpose of performing a mandatory duty imposed by a court or by other authorities, such as the performance of summonses to court hearings,
- aliens, if they have a photo identification according to § 95 of the Aliens Police Act 2005, Federal Law Gazette I No. 100/2005,
must provide adequate proof for their exemption, plus proof of a negative test result for SARS-CoV-2 upon request of border authorities.
Once information is submitted via the Pre-Travel Clearance form, a confirmation document can be downloaded. This confirmation must be presented to authorities upon request, and enables the verification of the correct disclosure of data. The QR-code serves the purpose of verification. The recorded data will be transmitted to the administrative authority responsible for the district of residence, quarantine, work, or educational institution. The data will be stored for 28 days, starting at the date of entry.
In exceptional cases, e.g. if someone does not have the technical means to fill out the document online, the form can also be filled out and used in printed form: Appendix F (PDF, 121 KB)
These legal measures on the level of an ordinance were issued based on articles § 25 and § 25a of the Epidemic Law 1950.
Due to the obligatory nature of this measure, violations in complying with them can carry administrative penalties.